SAP SuccessFactors Learning at UCT
UCT’s Human Resources department (HR) continues to automate and improve HR processes. Following the phased implementation of Employee Self-Service, the next major component to go live is the SAP SuccessFactors Learning Management System (SF LMS) – which will consolidate the booking and administration of formal training initiatives taken up by staff.
Why do we need a Learning Management System?
UCT employees have access to a wide range of training offered by each of the following UCT training hubs:
- Centre for Higher Education Development (CHED), together with CHED units CILT (Centre for Innovation in Learning and Teaching) and EDU (Education Development Unit) in the Health Sciences Faculty
- Health & Safety Services
- HR Staff Learning Centre
- Information and Communication Technology Services (ICTS)
- Research Office
- Student Systems Support
With so many different training providers, this decentralised training model often makes it difficult to find the relevant training. Once the right course is found, the processes that follow can be cumbersome, where processes are either manual or different in-house developed systems are used.
When information is stored in different databases (and often in spreadsheets), it’s difficult to track an employee’s training history – which in turn hinders analysis of progress and thereby decisions on an employee’s current or future training needs. The inefficiency of this decentralised model means that there is no sharing of resources and information, resulting in missed opportunities for collaboration.
On a larger scale, the current setup has made it difficult for UCT to provide accurate and comprehensive government-required reporting on staff development. These reports are used to determine an institution’s BBBEE rating.
SAP SuccessFactors Learning
SuccessFactors Learning is a SAP product which centralises training for employees – giving you a one-stop shop to find, book and manage your development activities.
Using the SuccessFactors Learning Management System, staff members can:
- Easily find staff training courses offered by UCT’s various learning hubs.
- Request course schedules.
- Register for courses.
- View their course history.
- Automatically assign training.
- Manage courses, schedules, qualifications, exams and certifications.
- Get reminders and notifications related to their training.
The SF LMS offers:
- Blended learning capabilities for developing employee skills.
- A user friendly front-end which is easy to understand and navigate.
- Instant access for managers to see certification or curricula status of their employees.
- And much more…
What are the benefits?
When can we use it?
Training hubs on campus have attended training and have been uploading their courses and schedules onto the platform in preparation for the launch to UCT employees.
We plan to rollout the system to a few PASS departments as a pilot in June, and soon thereafter to all UCT staff.
Further information will be sent to you in due course.