Staff tuition rates
Staff, retired staff, and spouses/partners who fulfil the conditions listed in the policy and, where applicable, the children of such staff.
- Child: The natural or legally adopted child of a staff member.
- Financial dependence: Financial dependence is where one relies on another person's income to the extent that they would not survive on his/her own income. By definition a person in employment is not a dependent upon another.
- Proof of income: Original or certified copies of bank statements for the first two months of the study period.
Each eligible staff member qualifies for staff tuition rates for himself/herself and his/her spouse or life partner, and child(ren) if the child(ren) is/are financially dependent on the staff member. The staff tuition rate varies from 25% to 75% of the normal fee.
- Children and spouse/partners of eligible staff qualify for a staff tuition rate. The child must be financially dependant on the staff member.
Note: The University Council has determined that students who qualify for both the staff tuition rate and an entrance or faculty scholarship, will have their scholarship adjusted pro-rata to the staff tuition rate percentage. The adjustment will be processed after the staff tuition rate has been processed by the Fees Office.
- The relationship as child is the dominant and necessary condition, and if this is fulfilled the further necessary condition is that the child be financially dependent on the staff member.
- The staff tuition rate applies for courses which are credited towards formal qualifications (such as degrees and diplomas, including the two full qualifications offered by GetSmarter) and not to short courses. The staff tuition rate also applies for staff members on an individual subsidy-earning course that gives credit towards a formal qualification.
- Where students are staff they qualify for a special staff tuition rate in their own right in all cases, other than those where the fee has already been reduced.
- Staff tuition rates for spouses/life partners and dependent children are for full time and not part time study.
- UCT has a reciprocal agreement with the University of the Western Cape only.
- The staff tuition rates are applicable only while the listed conditions outlined below apply.
Should these conditions cease to exist during a year, the person/staff member must inform the Human Resources Department who will assess the position; if the rate no longer applies it will fall away and the pro-rata full fee will be payable.
Staff tuition rates apply where the following conditions are met.
- The staff member must complete the application form (HR125) providing both student and staff particulars.The University Council has determined that students who qualify for both the staff tuition rate and an entrance or faculty scholarship, will have their scholarship adjusted pro-rata to the staff tuition rate percentage. The adjustment will be processed after the staff tuition rate has been processed by the Fees Office.
The following documentation must be attached to the form.
For application on behalf of a child:
- certified copies of the child's birth certificate and ID.
- for children over the age of 25, details and proof of the child's income and financial dependence.
For application on behalf of an adopted child
- certified copies of the adopted child's birth certificate and ID
- proof of adoption
- for adopted children over the age of 25, details and proof of the child's income and financial dependence
- In the case of part-time staff, the number of hours worked per week must be shown, and in the case of joint/tripartite staff on WCG conditions of service, the period of appointment must be shown.
- The HoD must confirm the staff member's relationship with UCT by signing the form.
- Completed application forms together with the relevant documentation must be sent to the HR Practitioner who services the faculty or PASS department.
- Should a person resign from the position or terminate the condition which entitled him/her to a staff tuition rate during the current year, he/she must inform the Human Resources Department. The period to which the staff rate is applicable will be reduced and the fees amended through adjustment to the fee account.
All UCT staff eligible for the UCT staff tuition rate, must pay the UCT staff tuition rate. Due to tax consequences, these amounts cannot be reimbursed from UCT funds. This includes journals processed between funds for the UCT staff tuition rate.
In terms of the Finance Reimbursement Policy (FM005), the Executive Directors of Finance and HR must authorise all exceptions on the motivation of the HOD. This will only be considered if this development is an explicit requirement of the position, and full motivation is provided.
Additionally, in terms of the Staff learning and development funding policy:
- the course must be for a sustained period of time; and
- the course must be examined or formally assessed; and
- the course must be done through a recognised, reputable institution; and
- the course must be position-related, not developmental; and
- the course must be approved by the line manager; and
- support and funding for the course has been agreed with the Executive Director or Dean.
The successful applicant will be required to sign a bursary agreement before payment is processed.
HR125 - Tuition fee rates form.
Page last updated: 26 October 2018